Found some time today and it didn’t take that long to finish up. I think this is probably a good finished version.
1. Added a nice simple fade in/out when one run ends and another starts.
2. Adjusted delay values to make things more pleasant.
3. Added multiple different color combos for the dead cells. It will pick a random palette at the start of each run.
4. Fixed a bug in the random code. (I was having to put in a dumb delay instead of just looping on the sample_waiting bool. Had to make declare it volatile to make sure the compiler didn’t stick it in a reg and enter a inf. loop).
5. General code cleanup to make sure all variables are typed correctly.