Home Forums Game Frame General Discussion Teensy3.6 question Reply To: Teensy3.6 question

gliebetronics
Participant

Thanks for the pointers. It actually helped clear a lot up since I hadn’t realized the Photon wasn’t just for WiFi but in fact runs everything as a complete replacement for the Teensy. My laser got used and I designed my own LED matrix for strips of SK9822 LED’s. It’s got a 5MM plywood back, chipboard grid separators, vellum, black paper grid mask for sharpness, and a clear acrylic cover all sandwiched together. I then designed a PCB for a Photon, MicroSD card reader, battery, and 74HCT245 which I then milled on the trusty Shapeoko2. (laser got a little jealous)
I just powered up the new PCB and it worked first try. There was a breadboard version prior of course. So it’s not THAT amazing it worked first try. 😛
I did have to rebuild the LED matrix twice because I could have sworn I read somewhere the pixels’ data streams from upper right but it’s actually upper left. That added an extra evening to the project. I still need to make a case for it but wanted to post some pictures and video in case anyone was interested. Thanks.

Short video showing PCB and grid in operation

Laser cutting out grid.
Laser cutting out grid.
Assembling grid.
Assembling grid.
THE GRID
THE GRID
Cutting out the black grid mask.
Cutting out the black grid mask.
Assembling the LED matrix BACKWARDS. OOPS!
Assembling the LED matrix BACKWARDS. OOPS!
Everyone loves a good sandwhich.
Everyone loves a good sandwhich.
(Dave Jones voice) It’s like a bought one!
(Dave Jones voice) It's like a bought one!
Took 3 tries but I got it. Remind me to try doing soldier masks later.
Took 3 tries but I got it.  Remind me to try doing soldier masks later.
No fire?
No fire?
Next step, build case to hold it all.
Next step, build case to hold it all.