Home Forums Game Frame Game Frame Art Design Tools Any 16×16 animation apps for Win10?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

I used (some time ago) a program called Microangelo which could create animated icons (ani files) in which you could upload an initial image and tell the app to copy that image to x amount of frames. Then you could edit each frame as needed and you could preview before saving. The only issue was(is) the program would only go down to 32×32. Are there any similar apps that will have this kind of functionality but on a 16×16 level. I’ve tried resizing the 32×32 but they don’t always come out the best.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

I’d be curious what others think but I’ve tinkered with Aseprite and it looks pretty great. I’ve only used the Trial, which doesn’t support saving, but it has a nice workflow/UI that supports animations and layers. It also appears to save Game Frame-style enumerated files if you create an animation and save it as BMP with the filename 0 (zero).

http://www.aseprite.org/

I’m not sure if the exports 24- or 32-bit files, but you can always convert. Plus I just released new firmware for Game Frame V2 that supports 32-bit BMP files on GitHub.

https://github.com/Jerware/GameFrameV2

Patrick
    Participant

I went ahead and purchased the full version and saved the result. I tried a simple “ufo with alien” 8 frame to see what it would produce. I put the result in the art gallery. This might work but I will have to get used to the application.

seanblah12
    Participant

The preview looks great, was the application easy to use?

Patrick
    Participant

Yes, it was easy to use and has a very 8-bit look to it overall. It took me a while to figure out where certain things are but it wasn’t too bad. I’ll have to dig into the program more. I had an original UFO animation (ani file) some years ago but it didn’t convert down to 16×16 very well. This new one I uploaded was a test to see if I could get closer by hand. The one I uploaded only has 8 frames while the old version had 96 frames. Since you can preview in the trial version you can get a good idea before buying it. It was only 10.49 so it was worth it for me to experiment on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Game Frame Art Design Tools’ is closed to new topics and replies.