Home Forums Game Frame Wi-Fi Adapter Filename Limitations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    boris
    Participant

Hello Jeremy,

I can’t remember whether this is a regression, but I am pretty sure that this is not the behaviour I saw before upgrading to WiFi…

Directories that have more than 8 characters do not seem to get played in Random Mode.

I keep wondering why some animations show up so often and others do not, but I just replaced my SD card and realized that at least some of the animations I have not seen for a long time (but HAVE seen last year) were in directories with longer names.

Please let me know if I am imagining things as this always was the behaviour.

Thank you, Boris

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

i haven’t tested it but there should be no difference in directory name support between sequential and shuffle modes. That said, I usually name all my folders using up to 8 characters. Do you need more than that? I’ll look into this further.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Well, you’re right that directory names must have a maximum of 8 characters, but this is true in both sequential and shuffle modes. Are you sure earlier firmware allowed folder names with more characters?

boris
    Participant

Thank you for confirming.

I BELIEVE that pre-WiFi I had directory names that were longer and did display. But memory is clouded and I can’t go back in time and verify.

In my current setup I have, for example, the spinning Sonic ring in a directory called “sonicspin” – and this animation gets played A LOT more than others. I guess that is because you do get truncated 8.3 names (back from the old Win95 days were you had long and short filenames) but somehow that gets called everytime a directory is not found.

I will rename all directories to 8 chars or less over the easter days and see if it changes behaviour.

Thanks!

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Interesting. I just made a fresh SD with three standard Game Frame animations along with two others called “spaceInvaders” and “superMarioBros” and those two never get played. Same result with Wi-Fi Adapter and original Teensy.

boris
    Participant

As I said – I might be wrong or it might happen depending on whether the card if formatted FAT or FAT32… whatever. Now I know to keep stuff at 8 chars.

Thanks again, Boris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Wi-Fi Adapter’ is closed to new topics and replies.