Home Forums Airfield General Discussion Lighting Back Glass instead of Play Field

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Culver King
    Participant

I’ve been in possession of a pretty neat backglass and cabinet for some time. My original intent was to light it and the displays in attract mode with a simple toggle on/off switch. After some research it seems like Airfield might be a good alternative. The main piece that I’m missing is imitating the score displays. It has x4 six digit seven segment displays and one four digit seven segment diplay. Any ideas on incorporating the Airfield with display(s)?

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Interesting question. While Airfield would be great for lighting the backglass itself, and producing chase patterns behind the image, it would be a bit of a hack to wire it up to seven segment displays in its current form. That said, the matrix chip we employ (max7219) was designed to drive 7-segment displays, so I suppose it could be done. You’re probably better off sourcing/designing your own controller board for this though, and using Airfield to control the patterns behind the image.

Culver King
    Participant

So you’re on an Arduino platform, what I suspected. I understand the platform and what it COULD be used for, but most likely wouldn’t have the time to test and build one myself. Why I was interested in Airfield. 😉

I am on the ARDUINO forums checking to see if there are any tinkerers interested in helping. But at a minimum Airfield is probably in my future. Can’t wait to set it up, I’ll be lighting this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.