Home Forums Game Frame Wi-Fi Adapter Setup process not working for me

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    rob.eberhardt
    Participant

Game Frame is working with the Teensy board

I successfully got photon online, blinked the LED test, the photon shows up on my phone and in the particle console

downloaded gameFrameWifi_20161028.bin, used https://www.ledseq.com/manager.html to flash it to the device (brief red LED, restart, breathing blue LED)

mounted the SD card on my Mac, downloaded sd_wifi.zip, extracted to /00system/wifi, replaced the SD card

when I power up the Game Frame, I just see somewhere between 2 and 5 randomly lit, randomly colored pixels, no ip address is shown

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

That either sounds like the firmware wasn’t properly flashed or the adapter isn’t properly inserted (pins offset). Have you tried flashing again and verifying placement/orientation?

EDIT: To be clear, when the flashing takes place the LED on the Photon should flicker magenta for a couple seconds.

nils.rohwer
    Participant

hey Jeremy, I’m having the same problem as described above. I ordered the pcb from oshpark from your githib and ordered the photon frpm a local dealer.

I tried flashing an older firmware as well to no avail. I checked the pinouts and the solder joints, everything is ok.

Any other thoughts?

cheers
    Nils

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Can you post some photos of your assembled board? Were you able to blink the Photon LED over the internet as a part of its setup process? When you flash the Game Frame firmware, does the Photon LED blink pink for a second or two?

nils.rohwer
    Participant

Hey Jeremy,
    Sure, I’ll post some photos later this evening when I get home.

The firmware seems to flash successfully, it flashes magenta and then back to the pulsing blue.

Cheers

nils.rohwer
    Participant

Hey Jeremy,

I updated to your latest firmware and tried again and the damn thing worked like a charm.

Thank you sir.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Great! Thanks for following up.

johan.g.wallgren
    Participant

Hi

I’m having the same problem, i think.
    I have success setting up the Photon and blinking the light using the app.
    I have downloaded gameFrameWifi_20161112.bin and using the Game Frame WIFI Device Manager I try to update the firmware.

I get the text:
    “Firmware flashing Your device sholud reboot automatically”
    The Photon is flashing magenta for a few seconds then the light turns to a slow pulsating white and the diod on pin D7 turns on (blue light).

After this nothing happes, I have at least waited 10 minutes.
    I have tried installing the Photon in the Game Frame but I only get some lights for a few seconds then a random amount of pixles turns white and starts flashing. Nothing more after this.

I canĀ“t control the Photon with app after this without flashing the Photon using the app.

Best regards
    Johan

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Hi Johan,

Sounds like you flashed the firmware correctly. Can you please provide a photo of the adapter in the Game Frame and verify you have the pins properly aligned?

On a side note, if it’s ever necessary you can re-flash the firmware by putting the Photon into Safe Mode:
    https://docs.particle.io/guide/getting-started/modes/photon/#safe-mode

johan.g.wallgren
    Participant

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for a fst reply!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    johan.g.wallgren
    Participant

I aslo added a movie of the (freaky) white blinking.

/Johan

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Looks like it’s installed right. If you put the Teensy back in there it still works? And you’re saying the Photon LED pulses white? Can you try putting it in safe mode and flashing the firmware again? Maybe an earlier firmware just to check?

johan.g.wallgren
    Participant

When checking again, the Photon is not pulsing, it’s a constant white light, and the diod is on. I flashed it with gameFrameWifi_20160926.bin. No change in results, the Game Frame is still flashing white.

Tried the Teensy again…
    No lights from the Game Frame at all, nothing. The red light on the main board is on, thats it. When I unpluged the Teensy I notised that the main chip on it was very hot.
    Is it possible to fry the Teensy if it’s put in wrong? I had the USB-port in the same direction as with the Photon.

/Johan

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s definitely possible to fry the Teensy by inserting it wrong. The USB jack should be above the words USB on the circuit board. In any case the Teensy shouldn’t be hot so something is wrong, and because the Photon doesn’t work I’m afraid something happened to the Game Frame itself.

Send me an email (jeremy at this domain) and we’ll figure out some replacements.

Christophe
    Participant

I have a slightly different issue: flashing seem to have worked ok, but I get the screen “SD” with two red lines, even though I have copied the ‘wifi’ folder inside 00system on the SD card.

When I power off / power on, I get 3 to 5 random leds on the GF main display, then after a few seconds the yellow “SD” + 2 red lines appear. After about a minute, I see a reboot (blank screen), then “SD” error screen again.

I checked multiple times the SD card, and everything looks alright. I have the 00system folder with the previous stuff, and the new wifi subfolder with wifi.ini a bunch of bmps and html and subfolders (email, follower, iss, twitter, …)

The /00system/wifi/wifi.ini file has wifi=true, and inifile=false.

Behind the device, on the photon board, I see a blue led (right next to D7) and a white pulsating LED between the RST/SETUP buttons. On the GF board itself, I see the red POWER led on, and the green STATUS led is pulsating fast.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Wi-Fi Adapter’ is closed to new topics and replies.