Home Forums Game Frame Game Frame Art Gallery How do we create Pixel Art?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    fogleman
    Participant

I used ImageMagick for both but maybe I used different command line parameters. I’ll try again later.

fogleman
    Participant

Jeremy – when you say “in reverse” do you mean BGR instead of RGB or the Y-axis is inverted or something else?

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Yes, the Y-axis is inverted. Do you see this? I’ve attached an example of the same image saved from Photoshop and Mac Preview (Export -> Windows BMP).

If you open them in a HEX editor, you’ll plainly see that all of the image bytes are written in opposite orders. In the Photoshop file, the bytes are written from the bottom up, and in the Mac version they’re top-down. I suppose the Mac version makes more logical sense, but it’s not the standard.

If you look at the file headers at offset 16, you’ll see the vertical resolution of the image represented as a 32-bit signed integer. The photoshop file is 64 (40 00 00 00). The Mac file is -64 (C0 FF FF FF).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    fogleman
    Participant

Hmm, if I look at offset 0x16 in sync.bmp, I see:

00 96 00 00 => 38400

Which is the (positive) height of the image. Likewise, with seq.bmp I see:

40 00 00 00 => 64

According to wikipedia, if the image is stored top to bottom, the height would be negative.

fogleman
    Participant

But you’re right, the rows of the image are definitely stored from top to bottom. Still looking into it.

fogleman
    Participant

Scratch that. I think it’s correct.

The height is positive and the bottom pixels come first in the binary data. (It’s easy to tell because the end of the sequence is when the fireflies are in sync – so the pixels are either all on or all off, mostly.)

So, are you sure there’s an issue with my file?

http://www.michaelfogleman.com/static/sync.bmp

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Arg, I was using a signed Int (16 bit) to store the height, so your high resolution broke that. I changed it to unsigned and it reads the resolution correctly now (positive) but it breaks something else down the chain. I’ll look deeper tonight.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Well, I think you basically found the maximum resolution. The use of signed 16 bit integers just cascades throughout the code, and the amount of Flash and RAM left is just humorous. Just to test adding a single 32-bit integer resulted in this cute bit of debug text:

Binary sketch size: 32,250 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

So the maximum resolution is theoretically 32,767 X/Y, but I’m sure we should reduce that in case there is code that relies on larger values (off screen stuff). So let’s say 32,000. Photoshop won’t even allow me to save a BMP that big (16×32000). If you can make one, I’ll test it out. It would be an even 2000 frame filmstrip.

fogleman
    Participant
    Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Bingo. Plays all the way through to the end and loops fine. (Looks really cool, too.) Thanks for helping me discover and diagnose this!

fogleman
    Participant

Awesome, glad to help.

When I wrote that firefly code, I thought about doing it with an LED grid. But I’m not a hardware guy and never got around to trying. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the Game Frame and I was sold instantly.

Have
    Participant

Do you have an animation of the firefly image?

fogleman
    Participant

It looks sort of like the one on this page:

http://www.michaelfogleman.com/sync/

Except that GIF is a very short loop, just a few seconds.

Digital Nemesis
    Participant

Hmmmm…. I think I am officially confused at the exact criteria needed. I used Photon Storm to get a good looking 256 pixel Gameboy and animated Tetris on it with Pixaki on iPad 4 to export to Photoshop on my MacBook Pro 10.8.5. Now I have this PSD with 25 layers of animation and no hope of outputting it to a filmstrip with Photoshop CS6 since Imagestitch only works on Mavericks not Mountain Lion (can’t upgrade now, have a quad boot, java and VPN issues on Mavericks, blah blah blah…)

Is there a method using an interface other than terminal to stitch these and I don’t get any response from GameFrame simulator when I add an internet 24-bit BMP into it (run Game Frame – File – Open – XXXXX.BMP)

I want to dump a truckload of artwork into this project and just need a simpler method of getting there, any thoughts?

I attached the GameBoy.PSD file!

Digital Nemesis
    Participant

Oh can’t add PSD.

Here is external link to get my file:

http://members.shaw.ca/digitalnemesis/Gameboy.psd

Cheers!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • The forum ‘Game Frame Art Gallery’ is closed to new topics and replies.