Home Forums Game Frame Technical Support Stuck in setting clock

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    rolf
    Participant

First to answer: no i dont see a difference in the Receiver

BUT

i did 2 things today, i installed the wifi Adapter and during this i updated to the latest Firmware. After finishing wlan testing i tried the remote and what should i say, problem solved. . The first Frame i bought, the troublemaker, the Frame works now as good as the second one. I am sorry i cant tell if it was the Firmware or the new chip, but now, for the first time, the unresponsive one behaves as good as the second one. I am puzzeld.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Rolf: Again, this is incredibly useful information. This leads me to believe some Teensy boards aren’t supplying enough power to the IR receiver. I would be curious to know if using the “good” Teensy board on the troublemaker fixes the problem there. Likewise, the only other thing that uses 3.3V is the microSD card, so a final test could be to swap those and see if there’s any effect.

If you have time to test these two things sometime I would (again!) greatly appreciate the help! In the meantime, it’s good to know the Photon solved your problem.

rolf
    Participant

in my testing and setting up i was swapping sd Cards back and forth. i had no change in behavior. Therefore i was not alerted on looking on differneces here i may have overseen something. At least i did not felt any differences depending on which sd Card i used.

And sure, i can put the teensy of the original working Frame to the one which had remote issues. as soon as i have the second wlan chip installed.

schouten.ca
    Participant

It is getting interesting

Can I do a check on the voltage to see if that is the problem?

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

rolf: Any word on this? I’d love to know if swapping in the Teensy from the “good” Game Frame solves the remote problem in the problematic one.

schouten.ca: I suppose you could measure the voltage at the 3.3V pin on the rear, but that won’t tell you how much current it’s capable of providing.

rolf
    Participant

i have the frame at work, so i could not work at weekend on it. i have both teensys in my pocket now and hope i am able to test it tommorow.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Understood, thanks.

rolf
    Participant

I took the non responsive Game Frame and did the following test setup.

1) teensy from the unresponsive GF
    2) tennsy from the responsive GF
    3) and wifi chip

Test 10 klicks on remote from a defined distance (around 2 Meters) and defined hight (around hight of Fame Frame top)
    3 runs
    counting responsive and unresponsive

This are the results:
    1)
    Round one: 6 responsive 4 not recognized
    Round two: 6 responsive 4 not recognized
    Round three: 6 responsive 4 not recognized
    2)
    Round one: 6 responsive 4 not recognized
    Round two: 6 responsive 4 not recognized
    Round three: 6 responsive 4 not recognized
    3)
    3 times 10 all responsive

I know ist odd that ist 6 out of 10 all the time for the teensys but it was at different places means different patterns.
    The result is that only the wifi is 100% responsive and both teensys are not good in the unresponsive Frame. They behave the same.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Very interesting. So there is something inherent about the combination of some LED panels with Teensy that results in poor IR remote performance, but it’s solved using a Photon instead.

I just sent 10 Game Frame to Spain, and they ran a similar test for me using their stock components (Teensy) — all performed fine. So this remains a strange problem but you’ve been extremely helpful in narrowing down the cause. Thank you.

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

schouten.ca, osmurf, and anyone else having similar problem, please email me and we’ll figure out a solution (jeremy at this domain).

osmurf
    Participant

It seems that the remote got a lot more responsive after I installed the wifi module, however now I got a new Issue with 3 leds on the frame that are a lot brighter than the others. Here is a video: https://youtu.be/X5YmVS34kUY

Jeremy Williams
    Keymaster

Please try the latest firmware:
    https://github.com/Jerware/GameFrameV2_WiFi/tree/master/compiled

The 20161201 firmware reverts the brightness code to use software rather than hardware dimming (a feature that is clearly half-baked by the LED manufacturer, and is unsupported by the LED library I use). This should solve the glitches in those three pixels.

You can also preview the Effects mode. Open up the Particle app, select your Photon, go to the Data tab, tap “Command,” fill in the argument field with “plasma” and then hit send. Or just text the word plasma to your Game Frame if you’ve setup the Command IFTTT feature.

schouten.ca
    Participant

Good news everyone!

Just got my wifi module in the mail.
    Works like a charm. Remote is fully responsive.

Time to create some pixel art!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Technical Support’ is closed to new topics and replies.